Can I File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Hudson Valley & Keep My Home?

Can I File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Hudson Valley & Keep My Home?

Many people in the Hudson Valley face rising costs and wonder about home safety during bankruptcy. This question matters when incomes lag behind housing and medical costs.

What This Process Looks Like

Can I File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Hudson Valley & Keep My Home? is protected equity through a homestead exemption. Courts allow you to keep your house while clearing other unsecured debts.

How It Protects Your Property

New York state law often shields primary homes up to a set amount. Studies indicate filers who keep current on their mortgage usually remain in their homes. Meeting with a lawyer helps confirm your numbers fit within local exemptions.

Home safety depends on your equity, loan type, and quick action. You can manage payments and move forward with guidance.


Questions People Often Ask

  • What happens if I fall behind on my mortgage after filing? You may need to catch up, or the lender could move to foreclose.

  • Will the court automatically take my house? Only non-exempt equity risks loss; most primary homes are protected.

Related Articles

Trending Articles